Nov 20, 2013

Fakesgiving

It took me almost 10 minutes to figure out the giant Tetris game that is putting leftovers into our fridge.

I was about to start getting slightly irritated and complaining about it when I realized, "This is a total first world problem." I would be complaining about...having too much food? That's ridiculous.

With that in mind, I'm bucking the system and posting my Thanksgiving post now instead of next week. Yep, I'm just that thankful.


 1. My husband


I find myself all too often taking for granted how awesome of a man I married. I'm thankful for the way he pursues me during conflicts, never storming out or refusing to talk about things (which is often what I try to default to). I know this is a rare gift, and I consider myself blessed to be in a relationship with a partner like him. Beyond just our relationship, I am amazed at the way he's attacked this grad school thing with all cylinders firing. He wasn't a model student in undergrad, but now he's doing homework, making awesome grades, and receiving accolades from his professors. There's even an internship opportunity that's already come up, and I couldn't be more proud of him for giving it his all. I got me a good one, folks.


2. My other handsome fella


















Just look at that face. Growing up, I wasn't taught that it was okay to feel an emotion as strong as "love" for anything that wasn't human. I love this dog. Potty training, chewed up belongings, and barking at inconvenient times have all been irritating at times, but I can't explain the amount of joy Titus has added to my life since he was just that tiny pup over there on the left. I'm thankful I've been able to have that gift in my life for as long as I have. 


3. Roommates

We are incredibly blessed to have friends who are willing to share not only their home, but their lives with us. It's unconventional for a married couple to live with another married couple in the age of independence, and at times I find myself looking forward to the day when we have our own place, but our current living situation is truly a gift. Not only is there no way we could find rent this affordable anywhere else, but living in community with people that we like an overwhelming majority of the time often makes life downright enjoyable. After three + years of feeling fairly isolated, it's a sometimes challenging, but incredibly rewarding experience.


4. A good, hard year

This sounds a little odd, I know, and it's probably not the right way to say it. But it's the best I can come up with right now. 2013 has been a doozy. High highs and looooow lows. But I treasure the lesson's I've learned, the strength and faith gained, and the unforgettable friendships forged through it. I'm glad I live a real life, even though that means it's not always easy.


What are you giving thanks for this year?


No comments:

Post a Comment